It only at first glance seems that making a flower bed is not difficult: you planted the flowers you like in the form of an interesting pattern or just a solid carpet - and everything is ready, you just have to water and remove weeds. Experienced flower growers know that in reality the picture is not so rosy. You will have to work hard to create beautiful flower beds with your own hands.
Before choosing flower seeds in the store, you need to develop several flower bed schemes, taking into account the characteristics of each plant that you would like to see in your flower garden. It is important to take into account everything: a shade-loving plant or a light-loving one, in what soil it grows better, how much it grows, when it begins to bloom and fades away. If you are interested in how to make a beautiful flower bed, you also need to consider the combination of plants in color, size and shape.
Before choosing flower seeds in the store, you need to develop several flower bed schemes.
But don't be intimidated by all these requirements - start with simple flower beds and a few of the most popular flower bed flowers. Gradually, you will gain the necessary knowledge, you will have your own experience, and soon you will perfectly know how to make a flower bed with your own hands, so that it becomes a magnificent decoration of the site.
DIY video about a flower bed
We break the flower bed, prepare the soil
It is not recommended to choose complex, intricate shapes of flower beds for a private plot, simple geometric shapes look more harmonious: circles, ovals, rectangles, triangles, rhombuses and squares. It is desirable that the shape of the flower bed be combined with the shape of the porch, gazebo, with the planning lines of the site and buildings on it.
Having decided in advance on the form, start in spring to prepare the soil in the selected area:
- remove the sod with a shovel, remove all weeds from the roots;
- heal the soil - dilute the clayey with sand, and add a little bentonite or clay soil to the light soil;
- add compost to the soil to make it more fertile;
- loosen the soil with a pitchfork to a depth of at least 35 cm, while mixing the added compost, sand and clay;
- add complex mineral fertilizers according to the instructions on the package.
Complex, intricate forms of flower beds for a private plot are not recommended to choose
The crucial moment - we plant flowers on a flower bed
The seeds of some plants can be planted directly in the flower bed, while the seeds of others require growing seedlings at home (for example, petunia seedlings). If you do not yet risk growing flower seedlings at home on your own, you can buy them in a specialized store or on the market.
10 minutes before planting in open ground, place the seedlings in the water along with the pot, and then arrange them in the flowerbed according to your scheme. Having a well-thought-out layout in front of your eyes, you will know how to properly arrange a flower bed, which means that later you will not have to adjust and transplant anything from place to place.
Carefully remove the seedlings from the pots, holding the plant with one hand at the base of the stem and gently lifting the pot with the other. Roots that are too long in perennial plants can be trimmed a little. Dip the resulting lump of earth with roots into a prepared hole in the soil, with a diameter and height no larger than a flower pot. Cover the roots with soil, compact the soil around the plant and water it.
The seeds of some plants can be planted directly in the flower bed
Don't make the common mistake: since seedling sprouts look small and weak, beginner growers often inadvertently plant them close to each other. Knowing how much distance each plant needs for growth, you will understand how to make a flower bed correctly, so as not to get a flower garden overgrown with a solid carpet, where stronger plants crowded out the weaker ones.
Therefore, before you arrange a flower bed according to your own scheme, please note that 1 square meter is planted:
- ground cover plants, 9-10 pieces,
- undersized - 6-8 pieces,
- medium-sized plants - 4-5 pieces,
- tall and widespread plants - 1-3 pieces.
Another important point: homemade flower beds will look more voluminous if you plant the tallest sprouts from the seedlings in the center, and for the next rows you choose smaller sprouts. By the same principle, flower beds are created from different plants - from the tallest single flowers in the center to the lowest curb plants at the edge.
Video about a flower bed of tires
But how to make the flower bed more lush if all the flowers in your seedlings are the same size? Form a small hill and compact the ground well to keep the flower garden in shape longer. It is not necessary to make a hill too high, otherwise the earth from rains and irrigation will gradually wash away, however, the relief must also be noticeable to create the desired effect.
Now you know how to arrange flower beds with your own hands, all that remains is to regularly water the flowers, from time to time loosen the soil between them and weed out the weeds.
[Votes: 2 Average: 3]
We decorate a beautiful bed of conifers
A flowerbed consisting of several types of coniferous crops is considered a complex landscape composition, therefore it is rather difficult to create it with your own hands in an arbitrary style without preliminary preparation and a plan. You need to start creating a flower bed with conifers by drawing up a diagram on which the location of each plant is applied in detail. A correctly drawn up flower bed diagram should take into account the following points:
- the territory on which the bed with conifers will be located should be in an open, sunny place
- so that the coniferous composition does not merge, the plants should be contrasting in color, shape and size
- priority in the flowerbed should be given to compact and undersized varieties - against their background, single conifers look more advantageous
- at the planning stage, you should decide on the finishing materials used for framing and decorating flower beds - conifers look more effective in a stone frame
- in the plan, all conifers, stones, additional decorative elements should be displayed as accurately as possible, and the sequence of their planting is indicated by numbers.
Next, you should decide on the method of decorating a flower bed with coniferous plantings. There may be several composition options:
- Compact. The flowerbed occupies a small area on which conifers are planted with each other: mountain pine in the center or in the background, several thujas and junipers at the edges.
- Bunk. The coniferous composition consists of two layers of plants, sustained in the same style and combined in size and style: ground cover juniper - the first tier, rocky juniper in combination with dwarf pine or spruce - the second tier.
- Horizontal. This coniferous composition is located on a gentle surface, where all the conifers are planted at the same level. Most often, several varieties of juniper, undersized conifers are used in the design.
- Big. It is located mainly along fences, fences and contains several types of conifers located in 3-4 rows.
- A flower bed imitating a forest. This coniferous composition consists of several ornamental trees (spruce, fir, mountain pine, juniper) and resembles a forest landscape.
- Rocky bed with conifers. This is an imitation of a mountain landscape with low-growing conifers and ground cover juniper on the rocks.
- Mixborder with conifers. A composition consisting of perennial flowers (irises, lilies, roses) and stones, where coniferous crops are located in the center and at the edges.
When creating a composition with conifers with your own hands, the question often arises: what other plants can be planted so that they are combined with coniferous plantings? The most popular coniferous species are: spruce, low-growing mountain pine, fir, thuja, junipers of various varieties. In addition, the coniferous composition can be supplemented with any flowering perennials.
Of the many plants, roses are most effectively combined with coniferous cultures, because it is the green color that creates a bright contrast and favorably sets off the roses. The coniferous composition, in which roses are present, is distinguished by special sophistication and sophistication. Roses in a mixborder can be planted of various varieties, while it is better to plant low-growing and ground cover roses along the edge, and in the center, against the background of tall trees (thujas, fir trees) - bush, standard roses. White lilies and blue irises are also combined well with greens, but still bright multi-colored roses in combination with conifers create a special accent on such a flower bed.
↑ Landscape Design Rules
Most of the area in the country house or personal plot is occupied by a garden and a vegetable garden. But there is not so much room left for a flower bed. Usually this is a small area near the house and a place along the fence. To make the space along the fence look spectacular and beautiful, you need knowledge about the design principles of flower beds and flower beds.
At first, it is important to decide how many meters you can allocate for a flower bed along the fence. If the fence is long and the plot of land there is wide enough, then the choice of plants is not limited by anything. But when there is not enough space in the country, every meter is taken into account, then flowers and shrubs are selected in small sizes.
It is necessary to plant plants that have the same requirements for soil, watering, and sunlight. When choosing seedlings, take into account which side the fence is located on (in the sun or in the shade).
There are many types of fencing of a site along which plants are planted: from a picket fence, wood (boards), a netting, from corrugated board, brick or slate. The choice when planting green spaces is also influenced by the height of the fence, the heating of the material, etc.
When plants are planted in the southern part of the site, the choice is made on drought-resistant crops, which require a large amount of sunlight for their full development. The soil here will need to be watered much more often. Therefore, in such a flower bed there is no place for flowers requiring abundant watering.
In the northern part of the courtyard, cold-resistant plants are planted, which are not afraid of strong winds. You can plant a hosta near the fence, build an alpine slide with conifers, for example, ferns and horizontal junipers.
A selection of plants for a flower bed
If you decide to create a multi-tiered flower bed, you need to plan in advance which plants will be planted on it:
- You can create a one-color composition, or one consisting of two colors, or a variegated one, on which there will be a full rainbow of different shades.
- It will look good on a plain background, be it a brick wall or a green lawn.
- When planting flowers, you must select the size of the baskets in their complete dissolution. The larger the flower, the lower it is planted in a vertical flower bed. At the very top, plants in the form of lobivia will look good.
- Flowers should also be matched to the timing of flowering so that she can delight others with her flowering all summer.
- You also need to know that moisture-loving flowers are located at the bottom of a multi-tiered flower bed, and at the top there should be plants that tolerate drought quite well.
When creating a multi-level flower bed, you need to remember to pay attention to it throughout the summer and do not forget with watering, otherwise the plants planted on it may die. http://landshaftdizajn.ru/mnogoyarusnaya-klumba/http://7ogorod.ru/prochee/mnogoarusnaa-klumba.htmlhttp://aklumba.ru/mnogoyarusnye-klumby
Making a flower bed near the house with your own hands: photo design ideas
No wonder they say that the appearance of a house is the face of its owner. However, the backyard area also creates its own impression of the tenants. A well-kept courtyard, a beautiful garden or flower beds with a gazebo will leave a good opinion of their owners. In this article, we will show you original ideas for decorating flower beds with your own hands. You will also see what kind of flower beds near the house can be, photos of which are shown in the gallery.
- 1 Optimal location
- 2 Creation rules
- 3 Design
- 4 Main types
- 4.1 Round shape
- 4.2 Landscape option
- 4.3 Vertical design
- 4.4 Monoclumba
- 4.5 Curb
- 4.6 Arabesque
- 5 We select plants
- 6 Continuous flowering
- 7 Decor options
- 8 Photo Gallery
Any undertaking, any business must begin with a project - this applies equally to both building a house and landscape design. Most often, beautiful flower gardens decorate the facade of the house - if you want to use this option, then it is best to break up small nurseries up to 2.5 m long.This size will allow you to reach any flower and not trample plants.
If your territory has a large area or garden, then you have a wonderful opportunity to make several flower beds. Decorating the garden with flowers will add zest to your landscape design and will allow you to place bright accents. In such an unobtrusive and original way, you will dilute the greenery of trees and shrubs, at the same time defining certain zones.
By the way, the design of flower beds along the paths will allow you not to go astray even in the dark.
Contrary to popular belief that all elements of landscape design should be harmoniously combined with each other, we suggest that you design a flower garden in two ways:
- It is traditional to design a flower garden in front of the house, the photo of which you will see below, designed in the same style as the entire exterior of the territory.
- Boldly and extraordinarily highlight with the help of flowers a separate section of the garden or local area, playing on contrasts in color and style.
In addition to planning your placement, you should also be clear about which plants you want to bloom at any given time of the year. To do this, you need to select a certain soil, fertilizers, fertilizing - individually for each flower. Of course, it is advisable to plant nearby plants that have the same flowering time and care requirements. You can even arrange a flower garden in front of the house with your own hands in such a way as to create a play and play of shades that are pleasing to the eye and uplifting.
Well, last and not least - consider the lighting for plants - this applies to sunlight and artificial light, air temperature at different times of the year and even humidity. Failure to comply with the basic requirements for caring for flowers is fraught with the fact that your flower bed in front of the house or in the garden will look poor.
So, you have chosen the optimal place for the future planting and are now ready to start working. First, determine for yourself - a flower garden or a flower bed you want to have as a result. What is the difference? The design of flower beds is based on the creation of clear geometric lines, and flower beds are based on the chaotic arrangement of flowers. We offer you to see how the design of flower beds and flower beds in front of the house may look, the photos of which we have posted below.
Remove all weeds and unnecessary plants from the plot before planting. It will not be superfluous if you remove the top layer of soil and fill it with black soil, sand, or simply apply fertilizer. Drainage in the soil will not allow moisture to linger, which will save the root system of your plants from rotting and disease.
The design of flower beds in the country also depends on the area of the territory. If you have a large plot, then it would be most logical to set up a large flower bed with an original and complex design.
In the event that you have a small area, you can spread a small flower garden. You can see how to arrange a flower garden in front of the house, the photo of which is located below.
Nevertheless, designers advise to allocate as much space as possible for flower beds and flower beds, because individual islands of lonely growing flowers are lost among the surrounding plants and objects.
As we said earlier, the design of flower beds is best done over a large area. When creating a design for a flower arrangement, adhere to the following guidelines:
- Draw on a piece of paper with colored pencils an approximate plan for the placement of all the plants. A beautiful flower bed in front of the house with your own hands can be made both in the form of a flat composition covering the ground, and in the form of waves smoothly going from top to bottom.
- Plant your plants with the tallest species in the background and the lowest in the foreground. Between them, bright medium-tall species with decorative leaves or fluffy inflorescences will look great.
- Remember the combination of colors - in this case, all hot shades are dominant. For the background, as a rule, take green and deep shades of blue. In the event that you need to slightly dilute bright colors and avoid color stress, you should use white and other light shades of cold colors.
- Consider the density of plantings - for each plant its optimal density. A dense planting makes the design of the flower bed in front of the house more holistic, but do not forget that plants can suffer from lack of air and sunlight.
- Any planting will have a complete look if edging is provided in the design. We will talk about the ways of limiting flower beds with borders later in the article.
If you still do not know how to arrange a flower bed in the country, we suggest that you familiarize yourself with their main types, which are common among gardeners.
This is the standard and traditional way of decorating a flower bed. Most often found in city parks and squares, as well as in personal plots. A circle is taken as a basis, in the center of which there can be a statue, a fountain or a central composition of tall plants. This option is great for novice gardeners. We bring to your attention how the round flowerbed in front of the house looks like, the photo of which is posted below.
It often looks like a chaotic planting, but at the same time, the order of the arrangement of plants is still observed. Making a flower garden in front of the house with your own hands using the landscape method will also not be too difficult for beginner and amateur gardeners.
This is a real salvation for the owners of too small a site. Vertical planting allows you to experiment with shapes, colors, execution - and this will practically not depend on the size of the available area. Do-it-yourself vertical beautiful flower bed in front of the house gives free rein to even the most daring imagination of the designer.
It is remarkable in that it consists exclusively of plants of the same species. Do not jump to conclusions that such a composition will look monotonous and boring. Consider the use of different colors. If you clearly know how to arrange a flower bed in this way, you will not be disappointed with the result unambiguously.
In this case, the emphasis is on the design of the tracks - the edging by flowering plants looks very beautiful
A very complex and original way to decorate the territory. It is a convex figure of flowers in the form of an insect, animal, ornament and other elements. If you do not know how to decorate a flower bed so that it evokes enthusiastic exclamations from everyone, then an arabesque is just your option.
We have listed only the most common types, but we hope that with the help of our ideas you will decide how to beautifully decorate a flower bed on your site.
We select plants
First of all, when choosing planting material, you need to take into account the location of the future seedlings, the climatic conditions in this zone, as well as the proximity to other plants. Watering is also important, so consider this factor as well.
If you are an experienced gardener, then it will not be difficult for you to create complex compositions from capricious and delicate plants. For beginners and amateurs, unpretentious varieties of flowers that require minimal maintenance are more suitable.
Select plants according to the following parameters:
- Flowering period - you can choose a composition in such a way that its flowering will decorate your site all year round.
- It is better to take perennial crops that will not need to be planted annually. However, annual species are better suited for experimentation.
- Bright colors create an invigorating atmosphere, cold colors create peace. Take this into account when decorating a flower bed near the house with your own hands.
For those who want to constantly contemplate the splendor of the flower arrangement, we offer a beautiful do-it-yourself flower bed design near the house in the form of continuous flowering.
Here are some basic rules for creating it:
- Plant annual and perennial flowers and shrubs together.
- All plants should be optimally matched to each other in terms of watering requirements, air temperature and illumination.
- Avoid aggressive plants and flowers that multiply rapidly.
- Arrange the plants according to the season of their flowering so that it works year-round.
Now let's talk about decorating a flower arrangement. We offer you the following options:
- Lighting plays an important role. Illumination of the flower bed at night with multi-colored bulbs will give a truly breathtaking look to the entire composition. The illumination of the curb flower bed looks especially beautiful.
- In the decor, it will not be superfluous to use various figurines and shapes. Even the flower arrangement itself can be made using improvised means - garden wheelbarrows, tires, benches, flowerpots and other items.
- The edging of the flower garden can be arranged in various ways - lay out smooth stones in diameter, border with logs, bottles or any other objects. The main thing is that it is in harmony with the flower garden itself.
Options for how to beautifully make a flower bed with your own hands, photos can be viewed in our gallery.
We bring to your attention 35 more original photo ideas for decorating a flower bed with your own hands.
How to grow an apricot from a stone? and step by step instructions
How to grow an apricot from a stone?
The article describes how to properly grow an apricot tree from a stone on your own. Step by step instructions p.
Growing an apricot tree in your garden is not entirely difficult if you only live in the southern side of Russia. If you live in the middle lane, it will be difficult, but possible. In Ukraine, in the central and southeastern part, apricots grow without problems.
This is all due to the fact that apricot (read about the benefits of apricot) is a tree from the Rosaceae family and is considered an Asian fruit, it loves warmth and is afraid of severe frosts. But in order to achieve yields, you should choose a suitable variety that grows in your region, then there will be more chances.
When growing apricot from stone, you should be aware that the tree may not retain the characteristics of this variety. For a better result, it is advised to plant a tree. Then the harvest will be guaranteed.
For growing you need:
Option number 1: immediately sow seeds in the ground
Stage 1: choosing an apricot kernel
The first thing a gardener needs to know is that you need to sow an apricot only in the fall, even better late. Now you need to find a couple of ripe fruits in order to extract the seeds from them.
Apricots should, as I wrote above, choose only the variety that grows in your area. You should also choose ripe, large and undamaged fruits.
Now you need to soak the bones in water at room temperature for one day.
Stage 2: sowing
Sow in an elevated area of the garden in a sheltered area free from cold drafts. To do this, dip one seed at a time into the ground to a depth of six centimeters. The distance between seedlings should be at least 10 cm. Plant at least 10 pieces at once. After all, not all will sprout.
Option number 2: germinate in a pot
This option is preferable, since we wake up to grow a plant at home, and after 6-8 months we plant a small tree. Another plus is that in the summer it will be possible to find excellent ripe apricots, which will serve as planting material.
Stage 1: preparation
To do this, three months before mid-spring, fresh apricot pits must be rinsed under warm water and placed in a basin with water and potassium permanganate. All bones that surfaced should be thrown away. We leave the remaining planting materials in water with manganese for one day. Then we soak all the bones in new warm water without potassium permanganate for 10 days. The water should be replaced with fresh water daily.
Stage 2: planting in a pot
Now we are preparing a small pot for the future apricot. Pour a wet layer of washed river sand on the bottom to half of the vessel, on which put several seeds (the more, the better) at a short distance, then cover everything with the rest of the sand layer.
Now the pot needs to be wrapped with cellophane wrap and placed in a dark place with a temperature of 0 to 5 degrees Celsius (you can safely put it in a refrigerator with a temperature of + 1-2 degrees). The sand should be moist for three months of seed treatment. But you can't fill in either.
Stage 3: growing a tree at home
After three months or even 4 months, the pot can be taken out of the refrigerator, sprouts should appear in it. We put the seedlings in a cool and not sunny place in the apartment and take care of them - we water them with dry sand.
Stage 4: planting an apricot in the garden and care
In mid-April, our small trees can be replanted to a permanent place. To do this, you need to make landing pits 60 cm deep and 70-80 cm in diameter.
If you are going to plant several apricots, then the holes should be made at a distance of 3-4 meters from each other.
The same pits must be filled up to half with a loose mixture of wood ash, humus and a fertile top layer of earth.
Now we plant our little apricot trees in each hole. We gently straighten the roots and fill them with prepared chernozem. Tamp the earth and make a side of the earth around the former pit.
Water each tree with plenty of water, with the calculation of a bucket of water (20 liters) per bush, if the earth settles in the pits, then add black soil.
Water the trees 2-4 more times throughout the summer, depending on the weather, if it rarely rains, you can water it more often. Sprinkle sawdust around the planted apricots after each watering.
In winter, you need to try to insulate the trees with something, wrap them.
Apricots planted from the stone will be able to bear fruit in 3 years, provided that you took care of the tree, watered it and protected it from adverse weather conditions.
It is better to immediately plant from 5-8 apricot trees, otherwise you can not wait for the harvest with one tree planted. How to prune a tree, see the photo below.
The formation of the crown of the apricot tree of two types in photographs:
How to plant an apricot:
Diy log bed
Everyone wants to decorate their site in an original way. To do this, it is not at all necessary to resort to the services of specialists and buy expensive materials. An ordinary piece of log may be suitable for decoration.
A flower bed - a flower garden made of logs - is a great idea for decorating your site! The composition will turn out to be natural, but at the same time bright and original.
To implement this idea, you will need the following materials:
- a piece of log 2 m long and 40-50 cm wide
- fine gravel or expanded clay
- polyethylene film
- seedlings of flowers.
- chisel or chisel
- watering can.
Preliminary preparation is over. Let's start creating!
1. Use a chisel and mallet to sand the log.
2. With a distance of 40 cm from the ends of the log, make two cross cuts to indicate the dimensions of the cut. The depth of the cross cuts is one third of the diameter of the log.
3. Make a few more cross cuts between them. Move the chainsaw to the side and in several steps cut off the area with cross cuts to get a flat longitudinal surface.
4. Having stepped back from the edges of the log, use the chainsaw to separate the longitudinal surface into pieces - "loaves" crosswise.
5. Use a chisel and mallet to knock out the loose pieces. Align the resulting groove-trough and clean it with a chisel. Place the log in the selected location.
6. Cut a piece of plastic wrap with scissors and line the trough in the log.
7. On top of the film, place a drainage layer of gravel or expanded clay, then add a layer of soil.
8. Plant flower seedlings. Top up with soil and mulch the flower garden.
A beautiful and original flower garden is ready! The log can be pre-treated with any water-repellent compound.